Cleaning and Lubricating Old Cameras
The attached documents discusses the following topics:
- Mechanical Cleaning
- Lubricating with Graphite Powder
This is extracted from the famous camera repair book “Camera Maintenance & Repair – A comprehensive, fully illustrated guide”.
5 Shortcuts that work – Camera Maintenance and Repair:
There is no magic formula that will fix any camera in five minutes without disassembly, but there are some methods taht are easier than others, especially if you know exactly what you’re doing. The ability to find the easy solution and employ it successfully comes from practice and experience.
- Cleaning with partial dis-assembly: Flooding with lighter fluid
- Lubricating with partial dis-assembly (if you can get to the point with a syringe): never flood with oil or oil solution, such as WD-40
- Lubricating by flooding with graphite solution
- Resetting/ retensioning: resetting is always the first thing to attempt
- Easy fixes with partial or no dis-assembly