Have you ever tried to do some DIY on camera maintenance and repair? it is actually not that difficult. I started to maintain and repair my TLRs about three years ago and normally i can fix the basic problems and do CLA by myself. Of course, you need to follow the right guidelines and rules.
I will start sharing some of my repair manuals (mostly TLR, such as rolleiflex, mamiya, yashica, etc) as well as some repair guides that I have in the coming months.
SO, today lets start with the general rules and precautions of camera maintenanace and repair.
- Take your time, especially when learning a new camera
- Keep your bench organised
- Don’t lose parts
- Know how ever thing goes back together
- Do not damage anything. Do not apply excessive force
- Don’t be screwdriver happy
- know your limits
For some details, you may read the attached write-up by Thomas Tomosy.
This is extracted from the famous camera repair book “Camera Maintenance & Repair – A comprehensive, fully illustrated guide”.